Friday, December 22, 2006

I Was God Once, It Was Great!

Long ago my sister had 3 adorable little girls. Actually she still has 3 adorable girls they just aren't little any more. Each girl had her distinct personality and each was as cute as a puppy or kitten. They lived in a mountain community a few hours out of Reno, Nevada. I would visit from time to time. I think they loved their Uncle Jimmy. I had occasion to phone my sister one day. The middle girl, Kathy, answered and I asked if her mom was home. She told me no and that mom went to the store and would be back in a few minutes. She didn't recognize my voice but they were young, their ages still a single digit. Now I've always liked the little people. One of their greatest assets is honesty. They are usually honest to a fault and thus they believe what people tell them... especially adults. These 3 little people were no exception. I don't know what came over me but when I heard that mom wasn't there and then little Kathy asked if I wanted to leave a message, well, I couldn't help myself. "YES," I said in a deep authoritative voice, "I WANT TO LEAVE A MESSAGE. THIS IS GOD CALLING AND I WANT YOU TO HAVE YOUR MOM CALL ME BACK RIGHT AWAY!" I hear a small voice saying to her sisters, "Hey you guys, it's God on the phone and he wants to leave a message!" Then I asked, "DO YOU HAVE A PIECE OF PAPER AND A PEN?" "Yes God." Kathy replied. "OK, WRITE THIS NUMBER DOWN 303-555-1234." "OK God." She said. Then I told her that God loved her and she said she loved me too. It was so sweet. She believed every word I said. So did her sisters, I could here the chatter in the background. God obviously had never called before. I felt rotten on one hand for fooling her and her sisters but then, on the other hand, it was just great to get away with it. My sister called about 10 minutes later. When I answered she asked to speak to God. I laughed and she told me that she drove up to the house and 3 girls came streaming out the door and down the stairs. One is waving a piece of paper in the air and all are screaming, "Mom, Mom, God called and wants you to call him back right away!" Over and over they yelled and Mom of course, couldn't believe what she was hearing. When she saw the phone number on the note she immediately knew what was going on. I talked to the girls on the phone that day and they took it pretty good that I had fooled them. What is so very cool about this story though is all 3 of them still remember their phone call from God. They refer to me as God some times and tell others that their Uncle Jimmy is God. I guess I left a solid impression with these young 'uns as they still remember that day. What I can't imagine is what went on in that house between the time I first called, or should I say when God called, and when mom drove up. That is probably the best part of the story. This had to have been 30 or so years ago and here I am remembering that time vividly. Julie, Kathy and Jamie. God still loves you.

No comments: