Sunday, November 26, 2006

Headline: Texas Mall Lures Rich Mexican Shoppers

I just read it! It's an Associated Press news release.

After all I've heard on the evening (tell me what to think) news about those Mexicans coming into the US and taking our welfare money, congesting our emergency rooms, demonstrating against us by burning the US Flag, yadda, etc, yadda, etc... Only now is the news telling us that we have been blessed by the "rich" Mexicans coming to a Texas Mall near you to spend their dollars.

It was with great interest I read the story because I was curious that there might be a "rich Mexican" and also because I wanted to know if they were spending dollars as in US dollars or peso's.

The story said the Mexicans like to shop in the US stores. They buy name brand items. They take shopping as a family affair bringing the kids and extended family (Cousins, Aunts, Uncles). Many of the Texas border towns are very excited to have them come over the bridge.

One family from Monterrey bought shoes and clothing, spending around $400. Another woman who was obviously better off than the "rich" family from Monterrey spent $1000 on her trip from Ciudad Victoria.

The retailers in Brownsville say about 35% of their sales are made by Mexicans. McAllen reports about 26%. Having been to Texas and seen the border towns I know this has to be a bunch of crap. Hells bells, these towns are about 80% Mexican, many... or dare I say MOST are not even rich!

I am glad these rich people have found a place to spend their money. I'm glad the news has another point of view of Mexicans besides the doom and gloom of low rent, leaches plundering our streets lined with gold. I'm very glad they were spending dollars and not pesos... who wants pesos? I'm amazed it took so long to read the story.... now if we could only get it on the evening news....

No comments: