Friday, January 26, 2007

AMTRAK - The Return Trip

I saw: 2 bald eagles, 1 buck and 1 doe actually swimming across the Colorado River, 1 red fox, 1 herd of elk. I also found out there are exactly 30 tunnels between Denver and the Moffett Tunnel. The Moffett Tunnel is 6.2 miles long and smells (stinks) like diesel exhaust. The Gore Canyon is beautiful. The train travels next to the Colorado River for over 200 miles.

My hat is also off to the engineer who gave infomation about the sights along the way. He obviously was a train buff and also knew his history. There ought to be a book you can buy that will give you the same infomation.

If I had known what I was missing on the trip TO Denver I would have been really pissed off. But seeing the sights on the return trip was awsome. I can't imagine the people digging the tunnels and laying the track through the Rocky Mountains. Even with todays tools and technology it would be a daunting task.

I can only say the trip was inspiring and I would think a summer trip would be nice to see the difference.

For $44 each way it is a good deal.... if your not in a hurry.

1 comment:

Rad Winters, Alanologist said...

Just found this blog. I had similar experiences on a train trip to Glenwood Springs last year. I hate waiting for indefinite periods of time, so train travel is probably out for me in the future. Too bad; it was otherwise a fun way to travel!